Wednesday 6 July 2022

Techo stuff with a Pi

I've been spending a fair bit of time this trip doing 'stuff' with my Raspberry Pi.

So this boat has a bunch of electrical and electronic things that all work independently and I've wanted to hook them all up together for ages. This year I have been doing some of that. Still more work to go but I have definitely made a start.

Things to integrate:

  • GPS
  • Navigation instruments
  • Power monitoring
  • Diesel engine data
  • Electric motor data
  • Music / Video
And then, once I have all the data in their, create a web console to make it useful to see and use.

So far I've got the GPS, power monitoring, music and video working well. Navigation is only one way (read) and ideally I'd like to be able to sit out the front of the boat with a tablet or my phone connected to the autopilot and be able to 'steer left' / 'steer right' but that will need more hardware to turn the navigation into read / write.

I've also been able to get the GPS to send AIS data so that other people can see us and it also updates the Vessel Finder page and the Where are we now page. Probably a bit redundant having them both there but I'm seeing which one is more accurate.
 
With the electric motor, I can see the data coming out of the canbus cables but I can't make any sense of it at the moment. The diesel, no luck whatsoever at this stage.

This is the sort of output I've got so far.








No comments:

Post a Comment